Christmas is the merriest time of year, but it’s also a busy season for criminals and scammers. These simple steps will help you protect your data and your money — and your festive spirit as well.
How to Avoid Tax Scams This Holiday Season
- Be wary of any unsolicited email.
- Don’t click any links and don’t download any attachments included in a suspicious unsolicited email.
- Beware of phishing. In this fraudulent scheme, scammers create emails that look like those of your bank or a reputable institution (such as the IRS) to persuade you to share your personal information. If you receive a suspicious email, find the official number or the bank or institution and call them to verify that they sent that communication.
- Remember that no charitable institution will ask you to make donations with gift cards or by wire transfer.
- Don’t let anyone convince you to receive packages that are not for you so they can ship them again to a different address. This may get you in trouble for being part of a “reshipping scam.”
- Before making a donation, verify online that you are giving money to a legitimate charity. Pay attention because scammers are crafty: they often name their fake charities using names that are very similar to those of legitimate institutions.
- Just like unsolicited emails, unsolicited telephone calls should put you on alert. If someone calls you requesting a donation, don’t let them pressure you into giving money. This is a huge red flag and a tell-tale sign that you are probably dealing with a scam.
Need Help With Your Taxes or Insurance? Contact the Experts at Delgado’s Insurance
Looking for assistance with your taxes or insurance? contact our experts at Delgado’s Insurance. Our mission is to help you make sense of your options to reduce your liability and maximize your deductions while staying compliant with all relevant laws and regulations.
We have locations in Riverside, California, and Bloomington, California. Contact us today by telephone (951-361-0084, 909-421-9003), email (email@example.com), or through our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) to get a free quote and learn more about our wide array of services.