Your auto insurance policy is not just a legal requirement, it’s also an important financial investment that can protect you and your assets. So, how much auto insurance do you really need? In this blog post, we’ll discuss the different types of coverage available, how much coverage you should consider getting, and some other factors that can influence your decision.
Types of Coverage
Before we dive into the amount of coverage you need, it’s important to understand the types of coverage available. Here are the most common types of auto insurance coverage:
- Liability: This covers damages and injuries you cause to others in an accident. It’s usually mandated by law.
- Collision: This covers damages to your own car in the event of an accident that’s your fault.
- Comprehensive: This covers damages to your car that are not caused by an accident, such as theft, vandalism, or natural disasters.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This covers damages and injuries to you in the event of an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
How Much Coverage You Need?
Now that you know the types of coverage available, how do you determine how much coverage you need?
In general, it’s recommended to have liability coverage that’s at least equal to the total value of the assets you want to protect.
For collision and comprehensive coverage, consider the value of your car and whether you could afford to replace it if it were totaled. For personal injury protection, consider your health insurance coverage and whether you would need additional coverage for medical bills and lost income. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can also be important if you live in an area with a high number of uninsured drivers.
Factors That Influence Your Decision
In addition to the value of your assets and car, there are other factors that can influence how much coverage you need. For example:
- Your driving habits: If you frequently drive in high-traffic areas or inclement weather, you may want to consider more comprehensive coverage to protect yourself from accidents.
- Your location: If you live in an area with high crime rates or a high number of uninsured drivers, you may want to consider more coverage to protect yourself from theft and accidents caused by others.
- Your budget: While it’s important to have adequate coverage, you also need to consider your budget and how much you can afford in monthly premiums.
Shop Around for Coverage
Once you’ve determined how much coverage you need, it’s important to shop around and compare quotes from different providers.
You may also want to consider bundling your auto insurance with other insurance policies, such as home or renters insurance, for additional savings.
If you are looking to make sense of auto insurance, including how much coverage you need, get in touch with our experts at Delgado’s insurance. We’ll be glad to answer all your questions and help you build a coverage that meets your needs.
Delgado’s Insurance: Affordable Auto Insurance in California
If you need dependable and affordable insurance in the Golden State, look no further than Delgado’s Insurance.
We have locations in Riverside, California, and Bloomington, California. Get in touch today by telephone (951-361-0084, 909-421-9003), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or through our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter)!