Tax season is in full swing. That means that more and more people are looking for ways to check the status of their refund. In this blog, we give you some useful tips on how to do just that.
How to Check the Status of a Refund
First off, it’s worth remembering once more that tax day this year is April 18 instead of April 15 (to learn why check out this previous post).
Having said that, chances are good that once you have filed your taxes, you will want to check on the status of your refund.
Luckily, keeping tabs on your refund is easier than ever. Here’s what you need to know:
- The IRS has created the online tool Where’s My Refund to help taxpayers track their refund. You can open the tool by clicking on this link and then clicking on the button “Check My Refund Status.”
- You can start using Where’s My Refund within 24 hours after an e-filed return is received, or four weeks after mailing a paper return.
- Keep in mind that most tax refunds are issued within 21 days, although this may take longer if your return requires additional review.
- Some factors that may cause your refund to take longer than expected include errors in your return, identity theft/fraud, or the fact that many banks don’t process payments during weekends or holidays.
- The tool Where’s My Refund will display the progress of your refund in three phases: return received, refund approved, refund sent.
- According to the IRS, taxpayers who claimed the earned income tax credit or the additional child tax credit can expect to receive their refund March 1 so long as they file their return online, choose to get their refund by direct deposit, and the IRS finds no issues with their return.
Delgado’s Insurance Makes Tax Filing Easy
Taxes don’t have to be complicated. At Delgado’s Insurance, we help you maximize your refund while staying compliant with all relevant laws and regulations.
We have locations in Riverside, California, and Bloomington, California. Contact us today by telephone (951-361-0084, 909-421-9003), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or through our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter).